Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Life Lessons from a Magnet

When I was little, my mom had a refrigerator magnet that said "So I'm not Supermom... Adjust". It was a phrase that really puzzled me. Was Supermom supposed to be like Superman? Was Mom trying to be Supermom? And what about that "adjust" part? What needed adjusting, and who was supposed to do it? For whatever reason, it was something that I really had trouble comprehending. Mom said I would understand when I was older.

I took Mackenzie to the grocery store a few days ago. This isn't anything out of the ordinary - we get out of the house frequently to run errands. Mackenzie was wide awake, but she'd been awake for several hours, so I thought she would fall asleep on the way to the store. Much to my surprise, I saw two bright eyes staring at me in the rearview mirror the ENTIRE trip to the store. I decided to proceed with the grocery shopping as planned and hope that she behaved. If my life were a movie, that ominous, foreshadowing music would probably have started playing at this point...

One thing I've noticed over the past few weeks is that having a baby makes you a magnet for people, particularly elderly ladies. As I entered the store, one immediately notices us and begins asking me all the usual questions... age, name, etc, and of course, she makes a comment about Mackenzie's hair. I make conversation politely, and then proceed to the produce section, knowing that my best chance for a happy baby is to keep the basket moving. I stop at the avocados, and another older lady stops to comment on M's hair and shoes. We continue shopping, but she's beginning to get restless. I take her out of her carrier and hold her to see if she'll go to sleep. Another lady approaches, and I end up changing positions so she can see her... so much for going to sleep. I continue shopping, holding M with one arm and pushing the loaded buggy with the other. I cross paths with the lady from the avocado stand again, and she smiles and strikes up conversation again. I'm feeling loved but slightly suffocated!!!

I decide it's time for us to leave. M is happy as long as I'm holding her, but it's getting difficult to hold her and maneuver the shopping cart. We checkout and head for the parking lot. I'm starting to feel pretty smug. I've managed to get my shopping done and take care of my 6 week old. Perhaps God looked down and dubbed me "Supermom" for the day. Hmm... cue that ominous music again. As we step out into the bright sunshine, M starts squirming, and her paci falls to the ground. I bend down to get it while still trying to hold onto the buggy. Of course, I'm also stalling traffic at this point. An older lady must have seen my struggle, so she approaches and offers to help. I try to resist, but she's persistent. Nothing like a little "humble pie". She unloads all my groceries while I put M in her carseat and start the AC. She sees my Texas Tech emblem and starts telling me about her grandson and niece that go there. I thank her and then get in my car to leave. As I drive home, I think about that magnet that used to hang on Mom's refrigerator. I guess going to the grocery store with your baby is pretty ordinary. So maybe I'm not Supermom... Adjust!

2 comments:

Holly T. said...

love it! welcome to mommyhood! :-)

The Farells said...

What a great story! We have all been there... and went home to take a nap afterwards! It only gets more interesting the older (and heavier) they get! Great job, Supermom!